Sunday, January 24, 2010

Slow Life

I've come to a point in my life where finally the choices are up to me. It's quite a reality check - I may decide when to go out, when to stay at home, when to work and what to spend my money on. My freedom clearly needs to be balanced with responsibility.
As I step into this new, and somewhat daunting era of my life; I wonder about some things. What if I don't want to be like a sheep who just follows the crowd? What if I don't want my life to be a mad gallop and all I want is the slow life - far away from the rat race? I've seen people's lives go down the drain because they cannot get off this endless merry-go-round. What kind of life is that? At the same time, I can see how easy it is to fall into the trap of modern life. What I'd really like is to never have to do a day of work, to get married to my high school sweetheart, live in a little cottage with roses in the garden and eventually make beautiful babies. Is that a ridiculous thing to want in the 21st century? Or maybe it's up to me to be the master of my own destiny, and to take charge of my own life. I don't have to do what everybody else does, nor do I have to follow society's twisted rules. God has a special plan for my life, and if I just follow it, surely I shall have the peace I crave? For most of all I long to have loved ones near me, and the time and peace to spend time with them, getting to know them. Maybe it's time that we get down to the bare basics of life, take apart the model of 'the perfect life'. Let's deconstruct it, and get down to the foundation of it all. Essentially, life is about living for God. Life is about loving God and others. The question is - how can I accomplish that? Can I really achieve it living in a mad and desperate spiral of one exhausting day after the next? It's true, I am the eternal optimist; but on the other hand, pessimism never gets one anywhere. And you know what they say - reach for the moon, and you may get some stars. In a nutshell, I want a happy life - one wrapped up in those I love. Is that really too much to ask?

No comments: